Tuesday, March 1, 2011

There's a mouse in my house. Really.

A few weeks ago I went to feed Atlas and stuck my hand in his big sack of dog food. In the darkness of the garage I felt something soft against my hand. I dragged the bag into the house to confirm my suspicion.

There was a mouse in the dog food. And it was alive.


Kimball who loves little critter was excited to find out about the mouse. I didn't know what he wanted to do with it first. I thought maybe he was going to kill it or let it go in the backyard or something. But he disappeared into the kitchen and when I went to see where he'd gone to I found him searching the cabinets.
It then occurred to me that he was looking for a small bowl...
In fact, the smallest he could find.

I should have known.

Kimball decided he wanted to train the little mouse, teach him tricks and put him in a teeny tiny tuxedo.
He put him in a large box in the laundry room, gave him a condiment bowl of water and a baby carrot. He explained that it's important for little critters to not be bored so he put an empty kitchen towel roll and a piece of crumpled up paper bag in the box for the mouse to play with.

A day or so later there was a fairly good sized hole in the the cardboard box and no mouse to be found.

Well, the mouse resurfaced yesterday as I was eating a pizza on my bed (don't judge me)! The little stinker has been living in my bedroom all along and came out from it's little hideout when it could smell the deliciousness of my Domino's pizza.  So I put some cheese and mushrooms on a napkin on the floor and watched the mouse run out and snag the goods faster than you can say "There are no cats in America".

Now it imagines that we're good friends and has even dared to get up on the bed right next to me while I'm sitting here browsing and typing!

Too close for comfort. I'm getting a trap tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment