Friday, March 4, 2011

Who is the little person in my belly?

There's a feeling everyone has at several points in their lives. That special feeling of inescapable realization. Like when one day you wake up and realize a lot of things all at once.
That you're not 15 years old anymore.
That Spice Girls never really where cool.
That the boy you had a crush on in junior high is now balding and working at Domino's.
That you're having a baby...!!!!!

I know, it's a lot to take in all at once.

So now that I've spent months anticipating the birth of our first mini-me (let's face it, my genes are stronger) with only a few more weeks to go, it's finally starting to dawn me:

I am going to have a baby.

Have it, hold it, feed it, love it, wash it, clothe it, cuddle with it, sleep with it and so on and so forth. It's an overwhelming feeling to anticipate the responsibility for a little person that one day will grow up and with all hope to goodness turn out fine despite your faults as a parent..
It's not like a pet turtle (that ran away and dried up in the summer sun), or a kitten (that accidentally ate rat poison and died), or the dog in your backyard (that is lacking in people skills because you don't know how to train it properly).

But, who is in there?
I don't even know if it's a he or a she! It feels rude to call the baby an "it" so I just say "he" for simplicity's sake. I don't know what he'll look like (although like I said, Mexican blood is strong). Dark hair, light hair? Dark eyes, light eyes? Tall? Short? Easy-going? Energetic? Funny? Amazingly smart?
The weird thing about it is that you don't get to know right away.
You have to wait till they get older.
MORE WAITING??!

It's like a movie, or a puzzle where you only get one piece at a time. You want to know the whole picture at once but puzzles that are already laid out are no fun and movies you already know all the details of are boring.

All I know is that I can't wait to meet our little miracle. And I feel ready to explode what with all the stretching of my belly and all the rib kicking. I don't know how women who get bigger than I manage the discomfort of it. But seeing as the outcome leads to considerable joy it must be where the secret to endurance lies.


The anticipation is nearing it's climax. "I love being pregnant" I think to myself when I feel the little life I don't yet know wriggle around somewhere under my shirt.


3 comments:

  1. So exciting! I can't believe you're only a few weeks away from meeting the little guy... or girl. You will be an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I look bigger than you!

    ReplyDelete